Monday, April 25, 2011

Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion

A couple of weeks ago, I finished reading a collection of two novels referred to as The Hyperion Cantos by author Dan Simmons. This collection is comprised of Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion. I mentioned this book last year in one of my early posts. At the time, I said the following:

This is truly one of the greatest "hard" science fiction stories ever. It borrows from Chaucer in that a group of pilgrims (in space) tell each other their life stories. It includes elements of action, noir mystery, political intrigue, religious mysticism, and psychohistory. It is a mind blowing portrait of humanity's imagined future.

I actually started reading this book in October 2009. It took me the better part of 18 months to finish the nearly 1,000 page story. I kept putting it down, not because it was boring, but rather, because I found it overwhelming at times. The comment above about Chaucer really only applies to the first book. The second book explodes with interstellar war between humans, a cold war between mankind and machines, and heartbreaking political decisions that no leaders would wish to face. There is even reference to a confrontation between god-like entities in the far future. The genius of the writer is that he never loses touch with the characters amidst all these heady concepts and far flung plot developments. I really cared about each of these characters and I wanted to follow their stories until the end. The book's finale is very satisfying and will not disappoint. If you are a fan of Dune, 2001: A Space Odyssey, or the Ender books, I recommend Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion.

No comments:

Post a Comment