Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Young Adult Novel

I host an annual book discussion at the local community garden where I volunteer. This year, I decided to pick The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. This is a young adult novel that is all the range among the tween set and beyond. I think many adults are put off by the young adult novel, but they can be great books that are enjoyed by all ages. For example, I recently reread A Wrinkle in Time by Medeline L'Engle. I would rate that a great novel without qualification.

The Hunger Games presents a post-apocalyptic future where the country is divided into a number of districts. Each district has to put forth children to do battle in a gladiator ring. The plot points and the themes are totally up my alley. My hope for this novel is that, like Animal Farm or Lord of the Flies, the conceit of the plot is merely a launching pad to explore deeper truths. We shall see whether this novel is simply this year's fad, or whether it resonates enough to be remebered and read by future generations. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked Hunger Games. I didn't think I would at first, but it sucked me in, and now I'm looking forward to the next books. I'm also looking forward to the discussion of it!

    ReplyDelete